iSCSI allows two hosts to negotiate and then exchange SCSI commands using IP networks. By doing this iSCSI takes a popular high-performance local storage bus and emulates it over wide-area networks, creating a storage area network (SAN). Unlike some SAN protocols, iSCSI storage requires no dedicated cabling; it can be run over existing switching and IP infrastructure. However, the performance of an iSCSI SAN deployment can be severely degraded if not operated on a dedicated network or subnet. As a result, an iSCSI SAN is often seen as a low-cost alternative to Fibre Channel, which requires dedicated infrastructure except in its FCoE (Fibre Channel over Ethernet) form.
PTS looks to deploy the appropriate storage network structure to meet client needs. In certain instances it may be best to deploy an iSCSI SAN while in other situations it may be best to deploy a Fibre Channel storage area network. The decision is based upon many factors which PTS analyzes via our IT Storage & Data Protection Consulting Service. For example, to properly design an iSCSI storage approach for a network, network managers need to consider storage scalability, storage capacity, storage availability, and storage recoverability among other items.
Once the proper iSCSI storage or Fibre Channel storage technology is identified, PTS consultants can evaluate various manufacturer products for both technologies and support proper design, ordering, configuration, deployment.
Learn more about our storage consulting programs by contacting us or visiting:
- IT Assessment Service – Storage & Data Protection
- IT Needs Analysis Service – Storage & Data Protection
- IT Network Attached Storage, Storage Area Network & Data Protection Consulting
- IT Network Storage & Data Protection Consulting
- IT Planning – Technology Roadmap – Storage & Data Protection
- IT Server Storage, Storage Area Network & Data Protection Consulting
- IT Site Survey Service (Architecture & Infrastructure – Storage & Data Protection)
- SAN Appliance Consulting
- SAN Storage & Data Protection Consulting
- SCSI SAN & Data Protection Consulting
- SCSI SAN, Storage & Data Protection Consulting
Visit PTS Computer Room Design to search by manufacturer, product, product category, or solution.