PTS’ Data Center Virtualization Site Survey provides a physical survey of the existing server infrastructure as well as a validation of the information gathered in the Needs Analysis phase. PTS will field survey the existing conditions of your server (physical and virtualized) infrastructure and capture configuration, utilization, and virtualization data for further analysis.
The intent of this service is to establish a baseline of the existing server environment which will become the starting point for creating a Technology Roadmap for Server Virtualization.
PTS’ Virtualization Site Survey gathers the required data needed to make valid business decisions in pursuit of a Server Virtualization strategy. An analysis of server operating systems, applications, capacity requirements, system architecture, specialized peripherals, data storage, and server size requirements will be performed. The service will provide IT managers with a clear understanding of the current server and storage topology and performance baseline for their IT operations.
During the Virtualization Site Survey, PTS will validate if design standards are being met and whether a “Best Practices” design methodology has been used to create the enterprise server and storage structure as it relates to potential or current virtualization.
PTS’ Solutions Architects will work with the appropriate client stakeholders to survey the physical server infrastructure and environment. PTS will review all existing diagrams and technical documentation available. As a result of this Site Survey, PTS will create or update diagrams to document the current environment.
PTS can perform this service standalone or in combination with a Data Center Virtualization Needs Analysis service in preparation for providing a Technology Roadmap and/or systems design that aligns virtualization possibilities with current infrastructure, application, and data structures, and ultimately meets long term client requirements. The Virtualization Site Survey reviews:
- An understanding of the current virtualization strategy within the enterprise (if applicable)
- Identification of current virtualization techniques and solutions used throughout the enterprise for IT infrastructure equipment (servers and storage area networks)
- Review of current actual costs, operational flexibility, and responsiveness provided by virtualization of infrastructure
- Determination of how much host capacity is used within the enterprise and at what rate this capacity is growing
- Server and virtualization capital budgets for the last three years and anticipated growth in spending
- Current tools used for server optimization and management of the virtual infrastructure
PTS’ Virtualization Site Survey service serves as the ‘findings’ phase in the progression of the data center project process.[chevron-image-map baseimage=”http://www.ptsdcs.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/chevron-row-final-01.png”]
|Identify existing server and storage infrastructure for functionality and business purpose||Comprehensive survey process gathers accurate and precise information related to critical aspects of the storage infrastructure, eliminating guesswork and estimating|
|Categorize each server to determine eligible and ineligible candidates for Virtualization||Develop understanding early in process as to which assets can be virtualized and which cannot|
|Perform capacity planning and inventory analysis tasks||The ability to gather concrete data on existing server configurations and analyze this data provides for an accurate assessment of the existing infrastructure and the host server configurations|
|Diagram the existing server infrastructure||Consolidation and optimization cannot be evaluated and implemented until the existing design is understood and documented|
|Review of current costs and expected cost increases||Makes it possible to understand expected cost implications over time|
To learn more about PTS’ Virtualization Consulting Services, contact PTS or visit:
- Data Center Infrastructure Virtualization Strategies
- Hardware Virtualization Consulting Service
- IT Assessment Service – Virtualization
- IT Needs Analysis – Virtualization
- IT Site Survey Service – Virtualization
- IT Virtualization Consulting Service
- Server Virtualization Consulting Services
- Storage Virtualization Consulting Service
- Virtual Data Center Consulting Service
- Virtualization Management Consulting Service
- Virtualization Software Consulting Service
- Virtualization Technology Consulting Service
To learn more about recommended virtualization solutions visit PTS Data Center Infrastructure to search by manufacturer, product, product category, or solution. Alternatively, to visit our VMware solutions and educational pages go to the following link: